Discuss your research with your peers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reaction routes of Metronidazole

Go down

Reaction routes of Metronidazole  Empty Reaction routes of Metronidazole

Post  sophia11 Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:05 pm

Metronidazole (CAS NO.443-48-1) is a prodrug. It is converted in anaerobic organisms by the redox enzyme pyruvate-ferredoxin oxidoreductase.
Metronidazole (CAS NO.: 443-48-1), with its chemical name of 2-Methyl-5-nitro-1H-imidazole-1-ethanol, could be produced through the following several reaction routes.

1). Preparation method one:
The title compound can also be obtained by alkylation, in different solvents, of 1-(acetoxymethyl)-2-methyl-4-nitroimidazole (I) with either ethylene sulfate (II) or with bis-(2-acetoxyethyl) sulfate (III) -generated from ethyleneglycol diacetate (IV) and either dimethyl sulfate or H2SO4 - followed by hydrolysis or alcoholysis treatment.

2). Preparation method two:
2-Methylimidazole (I) is converted into the bisulfate salt, and then nitrated by means of a sulfonitric mixture in Ac2O to produce 2-methyl-4-nitroimidazole (II) . In a variant of this procedure, 2-Metronidazole(I) is nitrated by using a ferric nitrate-tonsyl adduct in several solvents. Imidazole (II) is then regioselectively alkylated with boiling 2-chloroethanol to produce the title compound. Alternatively, the alkylation of (II) has been reported by treatment with ethylene oxide (III) under acidic conditions.

sophia11

Back to top Go down

Reaction routes of Metronidazole  Empty Look for Chemicals

Post  sophia11 Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:46 pm

lookchem Look for Chemicals

sophia11

Back to top Go down